Easy Halloween Cupcakes
Looking for a quick and simple Halloween dessert that doesn't require professional cupcake decorating skills? Then, let me introduce you to my Easy Halloween Cupcakes!
You can make these in no time flat while still wowing everyone at your Halloween party!
These Halloween-themed cupcakes are topped with a swirl of homemade buttercream in neon green, orange, and purple Halloween colors and then garnished with festive sprinkles.
Be sure to check out my Desserts page for more delicious holiday treats!
Also, if you prefer easy Halloween cupcakes with slightly more advanced decorations, you'll have to try my Cute Halloween Cupcakes for kids with spooky monsters, witches, and pumpkins - oh my!
Why You'll Love These Easy Halloween Cupcakes
My family LOVES these simple Halloween cupcakes and here are some reasons why you will also:
- Easy peasy to make
- Ready in no time flat
- Can be made with box cake mix in any flavor
- Topped with delicious homemade buttercream frosting
- Vibrant neon Halloween colors
- Festive sprinkles on top
- 100% kid-tested and approved!
Ingredients for Easy Halloween Cupcakes
This simple cupcake recipe uses basic ingredients you probably already have on hand or can easily find at your local grocery store. (The exact measurements are in the recipe card below.)
For the Cupcakes:
- Box cake mix - in any flavor you want (I used triple chocolate fudge). If you prefer to make them from scratch instead, be sure to try my delicious homemade chocolate cupcake recipe!
For the Buttercream Frosting:
- Butter - be sure to soften before using or your frosting could turn out lumpy. Either let it sit at room temperature for 1-2 hours or microwave on 1% power for 30-second increments until your finger leaves an indentation when pressed. Be careful not to let it melt!
- Confectioner's (powdered) sugar - used for sweetness, structure, and pipe-ability. Be careful not to confuse this with granulated sugar.
- Milk - slightly thins the frosting so it's spreadable.
- Pure vanilla extract - for a delicious vanilla flavor.
- Salt - helps offset the sweetness of the frosting.
How to Make Easy Halloween Cupcakes
Here are the steps and process images for how to make this easy Halloween cupcake recipe. (More detailed instructions are in the recipe card below.)
- Divide the frosting evenly into three separate bowls. Then, color each bowl with one of the three Halloween gel food colors - neon green, orange, and purple.
- Lastly, garnish with Halloween sprinkles on top, then serve and enjoy!
- Mixing bowls - used for mixing the cupcake batter and also for coloring the buttercream frosting.
- Standard 12-cup muffin pan - I lined my pan with green, orange, and purple cupcake liners.
- Electric mixer - A stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment is best for making homemade buttercream but a handheld mixer will work as well.
Place any leftover cupcakes in an airtight container and store them at room temperature for up to 3 days.
You can also make these cupcakes ahead of time and freeze them in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight or on the counter at room temperature for 1 hour.
Other Recipes You'll Love!
- Cute Halloween Cupcakes for Kids
- Moist Chocolate Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie
- Moist Blueberry Muffins
- Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
Also, be sure to check out my how-to video in the recipe card below!
Easy Halloween Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
For the Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened; 1 cup = 2 sticks)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups confectioner's (powdered) sugar (4 cups = 1 pound)
- 2 Tablespoons whole milk
- gel food colors (neon green, orange, and purple)
Make the Cupcakes
Make and Prepare the Buttercream Frosting
- Mix in vanilla extract and salt, until combined.
- Turn the mixer down to low speed and slowly add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until completely incorporated.
- Add milk and mix just until incorporated.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl down and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes, until frosting is smooth and creamy - don't overmix or it could separate.
- Divide frosting evenly into 3 separate bowls. Color each bowl with one of the Halloween neon gel food colors - green, orange, and purple.
Decorate the Cupcakes
- Make a swirl on top of a cupcake by starting along the outside edge and then circling towards the center until the desired height is reached. Repeat for all 12 cupcakes.
- Add Halloween sprinkles on top. Serve and enjoy!
StoragePlace leftover cupcakes in an airtight container and store them at room temperature for up to 3 days.
*Nutritional facts are calculated by third party sources and are not always accurate. If you are on a special diet, we highly recommend you calculate these values personally.