Growing up, deer meat was a staple at our dinner table since my dad was an avid hunter. After marrying a hunter myself, not much has changed.
Venison is by far my favorite fried meat; probably because of this recipe. I have tried to perfect it over and over again for years, down to the 1/4 teaspoon, and have finally got it just right! I can't wait to share it with you!
Don't forget to check out my yummy Southern Country Gravy recipe to serve over your steaks!
Southern Fried Deer Steak
- 1-2 pounds deer steak (backstrap or tenderloin)
- 1 quart (4 cups) buttermilk (Save 1 Tablespoon for batter)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- Begin by giving the deer meat a good rinse, then pat it dry.
- Using a tenderizing meat mallet, tenderize the steaks to 1/4 inch thickness. Try not to tear the meat.
- Soak steaks in a container of buttermilk and place in the refrigerator overnight. If you're short on time, 2 hours should do the trick.
- Mix the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, seasoned salt, and cayenne pepper together in a medium bowl or small pan. Next, drizzle about 1 Tablespoon of buttermilk into the flour mixture while stirring, until tiny clumps start to form.
- Take steaks out of buttermilk one by one and liberally coat both sides in the flour mixture. Place on an empty plate until ready to fry.
- Heat canola or vegetable oil in a skillet over Medium heat. I add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil for extra flavor. Add butter. When butter has melted, you're ready to fry!
- Cook 2-3 steaks at a time, 2 to 3 minutes on the first side, until blood starts to surface. Flip over and cook for 1-2 minutes until golden brown and internal temperature reaches 165°F. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and keep warm. Repeat until all meat is cooked.
- Save your pan drippings to make my Southern Country Gravy for drizzling over steaks. Serve and enjoy!