Growing up, deer meat was a staple at our dinner table since my dad was an avid hunter. After marrying a hunter myself, not much has changed. Venison is by far my favorite fried meat; probably because of this recipe. I have tried to perfect it over and over again for years, down to the 1/4 tsp, and have finally gotten it just right! I can't wait to share it with you!
- 1-2 lbs deer steak (backstrap or tenderloin)
- buttermilk (for marinade), plus 1 Tbsp for batter
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp salted butter
- Rinse: I always begin by giving my meat a good rinse then pat it dry.
- Tenderize: Use a tenderizing meat mallet to flatten the steaks to 1/4 inch thickness. Try not to tear the meat.
- Marinate: Place your steaks in a container of buttermilk and place in the refrigerator overnight. If you're short on time, 2 hours should do the trick.
- Mix: Mix the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, seasoned salt, and cayenne pepper together on a plate or in a small pan. Next, drizzle about 1 Tbsp of buttermilk into the flour mixture while stirring until tiny clumps start to form.
- Batter: Take steaks out of buttermilk one by one and liberally coat both sides in the flour mixture. Place on an empty plate until ready to fry.
- Heat: Heat canola or vegetable oil in a skillet over Medium heat. I add 1 Tbsp of olive oil for extra flavor. Add butter. When butter has melted, you're ready to fry!
- Fry: Cook 2-3 steaks at a time, 2 to 3 minutes on the first side until blood starts to surface. Flip over and cook for 1-2 minutes until golden brown and internal temperature reaches 165°F. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and keep warm. Repeat until all meat is cooked.
- Gravy: You can't have fried steak without gravy, right?! Save the grease and bits in your pan to make my yummy Southern Country Cream Gravy to pour over your deer steaks! Click here for the recipe: https://www.ranchstylekitchen.com/2020/01/southern-country-cream-gravy.html
That's it! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! See below for a printable version 👇