Tis' the season for love! These beautiful Linzer Cookies are the perfect romantic treat for Valentine's Day, date night, anniversary dessert, or any holiday!
These heart shaped sandwich cookies are made with buttery cookie dough, filled with strawberry jam, and dusted with powdered sugar. Yum!
Even though they may look too pretty to eat, you'll be surprised how easy they are to make. The heart shaped cookie cutters are the key. I use this one!
How to make:
Here's a brief summary of how to make this yummy treat. Detailed instructions are listed in the recipe card below.
- Mix the cookie dough, divide into 2 disks, and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the cookie dough.
- With the large cookie cutter, cut out 24 cookies.
- Using the smaller cookie cutter, cut "windows" out of half the cookies.
- Bake cookies and then allow to cool completely.
- Spread a dollop of strawberry jam onto each of the 12 solid cookies, leaving a small border around the edge of the cookies.
- Dust powdered sugar over the tops of the 12 "window" cookies.
- Gently sandwich the dusted "window" cookies on top of the solid jam-topped cookies. So cute! Enjoy!
Heart Shaped Linzer Cookies Filled with Strawberry Jam
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 jar raspberry jam (for filling)
- powdered sugar (for dusting)
- Add eggs, vanilla extract, almond extract, salt, and baking powder and beat on medium-high speed until combined. Scrape down sides and bottom of mixing bowl with a spatula.
- Turn the mixer down to low and slowly add flour until just combined. Don't over mix!
- Divide cookie dough in half and shape into two round disks. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes or in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove one dough disk from the refrigerator at a time so that dough stays cold. Generously sprinkle flour under and on top of dough. Using rolling pin coated in flour, roll each dough disk out to about ⅛ to ⅙ inch thickness.
- With the large heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 24 cookies and place on the two baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Using the smaller cookie cutter, cut "windows" from the middle of only 12 of the cookies. (If dough has warmed during rolling and cutting, chill in refrigerator for 10 more minutes before baking.)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes (rotating halfway through) until bottom edges are very lightly brown. Don't over bake!
- Allow cookies to cool a couple of minutes on the baking sheets before moving them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Once cooled, spoon a dollop of jam on top of each solid cookie. Smooth out the jam leaving a small border around the edge of the cookie (about ⅛ inch wide).
- Pour ½ cup of powdered sugar into a fine mesh strainer and lightly dust the tops of each "window" cookie cutout.
- Gently sandwich the dusted "window" cookies on top of the solid jam-topped cookies.
- Serve and enjoy!