What's better than eating warm Chicken Tortilla Soup on a cold winter night? Wait, who am I kidding?…I eat it all year long! It's considered a "comfort food" in my book!
This is my mother-in-law's recipe and, boy oh boy, can that woman cook! I have never tasted chicken tortilla soup this good before and that's the honest to goodness truth! You HAVE to try this recipe!
Thanks to the Instant Pot, this soup only takes 15 minutes to cook - that sure is fast! However, if you'd rather cook this soup on the stovetop instead, simply follow these steps:
- Cook and shred the chicken
- In a large pot, sauté the chopped onions in olive oil until soft and translucent
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes
- Serve and enjoy!
OTHER RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE!
- Old Fashioned Creamy Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice
- Creamy Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream Sauce
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
For the Soup:
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes & green chilies (don't drain)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole kernel corn (drained)
- 3 medium zucchini (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup black olives (sliced)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 chicken breasts
- 3 bay leaves
For the Garnishes:
- shredded cheese (Mexican blend)
- tortilla strips: (5 corn tortillas & 1 Tablespoon olive oil)
- avocado (sliced)
- sour cream
- Set the Instant Pot to the "Sauté" setting. Pour in olive oil and chopped onions. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Add the rest of the soup ingredients (except for the bay leaves) and stir. Place the bay leaves on the very top of the soup.
- Lock the lid in place, move the steam release handle to "sealing", and set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on the manual high setting for 10 minutes. (Note: It will take several minutes to build pressure)
- When done, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes and then manually release the rest of the pressure with the steam release handle.
- Carefully, remove the lid and remove bay leaves.
- Remove the chicken breasts, cut into thirds, and place in a large bowl. Shred chicken with an electric handheld mixer on low speed.
- Place shredded chicken back in the soup and stir.
- To make the tortilla strips, place corn tortillas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, lightly coat tortillas with olive oil, and cut into ½" wide strips with a pizza cutter. Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- Garnish tortilla soup with cheese, tortilla strips, sliced avocado, sour cream, and cilantro.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Nutritional facts are calculated by third party sources and are not always accurate. If you are on a special diet, we highly recommend you calculate these values personally.