What's better than eating warm Chicken Tortilla Soup on a cold winter night? Wait, who am I kidding?…I eat it all year long! It's considered a "comfort food" in my book!
This is my mother-in-law's recipe and, boy oh boy, can that woman cook! I have never tasted chicken tortilla soup this good before and that's the honest-to-goodness truth! You HAVE to try this recipe!
Thanks to the Instant Pot, this soup only takes 15 minutes to cook - that sure is fast! However, if you'd rather cook this soup on the stovetop instead, simply follow these steps:
- Cook and shred the chicken
- In a large pot, sauté the chopped onions in olive oil until soft and translucent
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes
- Serve and enjoy!
OTHER RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE!
- Homemade Corn Tortillas
- Easy Pico de Gallo
- Old Fashioned Creamy Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Creamy Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream Sauce
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
For the Soup:
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes & green chilies (don't drain)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole kernel corn (drained)
- 3 medium zucchini (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup black olives (sliced)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 chicken breasts
- 3 bay leaves
For the Garnishes:
- shredded cheese (Mexican blend)
- tortilla strips: (5 corn tortillas & 1 Tablespoon olive oil)
- avocado (sliced)
- sour cream
- Set the Instant Pot to the "Sauté" setting. Pour in olive oil and chopped onions. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Add the rest of the soup ingredients (except for the bay leaves) and stir. Place the bay leaves on the very top of the soup.
- Lock the lid in place, move the steam release handle to "sealing", and set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on the manual high setting for 10 minutes. (Note: It will take several minutes to build pressure)
- When done, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes and then manually release the rest of the pressure with the steam release handle.
- Carefully, remove the lid and remove bay leaves.
- Remove the chicken breasts, cut into thirds, and place in a large bowl. Shred chicken with an electric handheld mixer on low speed.
- Place shredded chicken back in the soup and stir.
- To make the tortilla strips, place corn tortillas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, lightly coat tortillas with olive oil, and cut into ½" wide strips with a pizza cutter. Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- Garnish tortilla soup with cheese, tortilla strips, sliced avocado, sour cream, and cilantro.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Nutritional facts are calculated by third party sources and are not always accurate. If you are on a special diet, we highly recommend you calculate these values personally.